This is a test post of my new blog. I have created it as a part of my MLIS practicum at CSU. I will be sharing it with my professor and my site director.
Week 9 at the Indian Prairie Public Library was like life imitating art...or in this case, life imitating one of my other MLIS classes. The notes area within the Work Flows circulation software is overwhelmed with outdated and duplicate notes regarding patrons. As a result, it's been all hands on deck to review the notes and delete anything unnecessary. This type of thing is precisely what we've been discussing in the databases class. Luckily the note fields were able to be sorted in a way that made generating reports not overly burdensome, but there will still need to be considerable effort put into cleaning up the records. This effort really makes me think of the PLA Leadership model, Sphere 2: Organization, specifically. Here we are o perating strategically, ta king risks and seizing opportunities in the hopes that the time and effort that is put into the clean-up project is well-spent. If all works out as it should, we will be better able to serve our patrons and have a be...
I believe with Week 8 we are halfway through the 16-week semester. It seems like it is going so very fast. It feels like just yesterday I was showing up for my summer orientation at IPPL, and now we're firmly in sweater weather and soup season. Soup, with its melange of hearty ingredients, brings to mind this week's Practicum assignment. I was tasked withthe Guest Services desk and Boy Howdy do we offer a lot of services. Printing, Passports, Reciprocal borrowing, Museum passes, Proctoring, Tax prep for the elderly, License plate renewal, and that isjusta sample of that on top of "normal" library things like makers studio, library of things, homebound delivery, and programming. I mean, if this doesn't just EXEMPLIFY both speres 3and 4 of the PLA leadership model then I don't know what does! Force 3 is Community and Force 4 is Cross-cutting Abilities and with this rich and savory guest services stew, IPPL is proving that they are a library ...
Disclaimer: I know that this post is late. Life gets really "lifey" sometimes. Seldom do I feel that I have a topic that is worthy of all aspects of one of the sets of professional standards that we as librarians hold ourselves to, but this one does. You'll remember that in a previous postI spoke about somebehavior issues we were experiencing in the YA department. We'll, changes were implemented and implemented swiftly! Furniture has been rearranged, the available hours for the Nintendo Switch have been lessened, study rooms have been set aside, the high school deans are dropping by regularly (we're just across the street, after all), and the threshold at which someone is asked to department for the day has been lowered. I feel that these steps fulfill all aspects as outlined by YALSA. Accountability: We were accountable for our part in maintaining a positive public space and we keep the teenage patrons accountable. Collaboration: In working across teams and with...
Comments
Post a Comment